Wednesday, October 3, 2007

2007 Toyota Corolla CE



2007 Toyota Corolla CE

The Toyota Corolla is the best selling car of all time, beating even the VW Beetle, which has been around since Hitler controlled Germany. There is nothing that explains why the Corolla has sold in droves. Sure the Corolla gets good gas mileage, and is totally reliable, but unlike the beetle, which is iconic to most of the world, there is no defining reason for the Corolla’s success. The Corolla has never been a special car, and other than the short lived XRS, there hasn’t been a hot one to boost the image like the Type R’s for Civics. So is there something I’ve been missing?

Positives: The obvious plus side to owning a Corolla begins with its unimpeachable reliability. As long as you keep up with basic maintenance, this car stands a chance of seeing you from college to retirement. The next obvious plus side is the amazing gas mileage this car gets. Remember, this isn’t a small hatchback like the Yaris and yet with a manual this car gets 32 mpg in the city and 41 mpg on the highway (The auto is only a shade worse)! This is thanks to the incredible engine under the bonnet. It only produces 126 hp but the VVT-i system in the car makes it far more potent than the figures would lead you to believe. I won’t tell you the details of how Toyota’s VVT-i system works, partly because I don’t fully understand it myself, and partly because it will bore you to tears, but what the system does in the end is give you immediate power at any speed. This makes the car entertaining on the highway, because every time you jab the throttle you are jolted into the seat. You won’t be glued to the driver’s seat like you would in a big V8 muscle car, but for this class of car it is good fun. Now, if you don’t like keeping the throttle glued to the floor, this car will become a quiet highway cruiser instead, which is nice as well.

Even though this was the entry level CE trimmed Corolla and the interior was a symphony of plain beige, you could tell that all the plastics and other trim material was made from quality products. The ergonomics in this car are perfect; there’s no other way to describe it. Everything is where you expect it to be. I found myself adjusting the stereo and the AC (not just the fan power but the temperature and fan outlet knob as well) without even looking, and this was during my first drive in the car. To add the approbation, the seats were fairly comfortable, I was able to fit my friends in the backseat, and we all fit a Costco run in the trunk. Also the car feels solid and well built while driving on the road, and the car glides over bumps and potholes as well as its big brother, the Camry.

All of this makes the Corolla the perfect car for the commuter, and the small family. There is nothing to fault about the ownership experience of this car; and even if something does go wrong with your Corolla, replacement parts (even tires) are cheap and plentiful due to the ubiquity of this car. In addition, if you don’t plan to drive this car until you have to put it into your will, Corolla’s have excellent resale at any age. When you want to trade it in for a new car, you’ll be able to get back most of the money you spent buying it originally!

The not so negative negatives: Predictably as a Toyota, the driving dynamics are nowhere near class leading. The pedal feel is better than other Toyota products I have driven; the brakes and gas pedal don’t suffer from A.D.D. but still feel a bit rubbery. The steering is a bit rubbery as well. Even though this car has very low torque figures, the over assisted steering wheel can still receive a bit of torque steer in the turns. If you jab the throttle mid-turn you’ll get a nervous twitch from the wheel and passengers might think you were trying to correct your turn angle. Now that I’ve said that, the next time you get in a Corolla driven by a friend, I guarantee you’ll notice it. I guess the exterior styling is a bit bland and “elderly,” but buying the S model with alloys will cure that; however the S model is just a body kitted Corolla with a black interior, so it will not cure the handling short falls this car has.

Actually I don’t care about the negatives I’ve listed. I actually love this car.

Conclusion: The reason why I love the Corolla is the fact that it gives off a special vibe when you drive one for an extended period of time. There is something about it that’s endearing, and it gets under your skin. Add this to a faultless ownership experience and the short list of negatives goes away. Unless you commute through tight winding mountain passes, or fancy a track day once in awhile, the handling will suffice for everyday driving. In fact I feel that the negative aspects of this car add to its charm. I cannot really explain it, but borrow a Corolla for a weekend and you might know what I mean.

I’ve driven older Corollas before and I think it’s just this generation that gives off that endearing vibe, so I still cannot explain why this is the best selling car of all time. I believe that if I had around 17k to blow on a car I would drive to the Toyota dealership, then veer off and buy a Mazda 3 (because it really is better)… but if for some reason I didn’t veer off, I don’t think I would ever regret my purchase.

Summary:

The Good: Everything, but the handling

The Bad: I wish it handled better; then it’d be pretty much perfect

Verdict: I’ll take it

Random Stats:

Engine: 1.8 liter I4 126 hp, 122 lb-ft torque

EPA mileage estimates: 30/38 (auto) 32/41 (manual)

I heard if you try really hard you can get this car from 0-60 in 8.3 seconds (with a manual). For a car with only 126 hp… that’s amazing!

No comments: